REPORT FROM THE DEPUTY HEADTEACHER WELFARE AND DISCIPLINE/ COVID- 19 SCHOOL TASK FORCE CHAIR.
The students of S.4 and S.6 on reporting for term II 2020 were briefed by theschool task force on COVID-19 pandemic.
- The composition of the task force was read out and their work of supervising the
implementation of Covid-19 Standard Operating Procedures(SOPS).
Composition of the Task Force
- Eva Naluggya – Chairperson- Work hand in hand with Deputy.
Administration Mr. Ssekiziyivu.
- Angom Faith Nancy – School Nurse.
- MukasaLameck – Warden.
- Zalwango Barbra – Matron.
- Akampulira Nelson – Compound.
- Nakiranda Monica – Security.
- Lule Isaac – S.4 Class Teacher Representative.
- Nsubuga Peter – S.6 Class Teacher Representative.
- Musomba Ronnie – Head Prefect(Students Representative).
- Nakakande Viola – Head Girl(Students Representative).
- Sentongo Margaret – Kitchen Representative.
- MutabaaziSyliver – Security.
The following were some of the issues highlighted during the talk:
- That Covid-19 is real however, it can be prevented in our community by observing
- Wearing masks and washing them every day.
- Washing of hands regularly to prevent transmission of the disease.
- Regular taking of temperature recording three times a day i.e.
- Eating warm food in order to boost the immunity. They were promised improved diet.
- Exercising the body to keep healthy.
- Reporting to the nurse early enough in case one develops the following signs and symptoms:
- High temperatures above 37o
- Chest pain.
- Vomiting .
- Dry cough.
- General body weakness.
- They were taken through on how Covid-19 is transmitted that is through the soft parts of our body i.e. eyes, mouth and nose. Hence were cautioned about;
- Sneezing and coughing in public.
- Touching surfaces e.g. walls, desks, doors, windows etc.
- Avoid sharing things like ; pens, plates, masks, clothings, beds etc.
- Keep social distance / avoid overcrowding in the dormitories, at the canteens, dining hall and other public places.
- A new time table was read out to them i.e.
S.4 10:20am – 10:50am
S.6 10:50am – 11:20am
S.4 1:05pm – 1:50pm
S.6 1:50pm – 2:35pm
On that note,
- Time management was highly emphasized.
- They were informed about not going back to their dormitories during lunch time.
- That serving and eating shall be done in the dining areaafter temperature measurement.
- Also that a security officer was to guard their dormitories day and night.
- An Askari was to patrol the critical areas of the school especially behind the buildings and compound to ensure implementation of Standard Operating Procedures( SOPs.)
- They were warned about tampering with the fire detectors in their dormitories, but to act very first in case of an alarm.
- Also cautioned not to makean alarm when one is suspected of Covid 19. That a suspect shall be isolated and taken care of by our school nurse.
That all had been done to ensure their safety in school.
Response of learners:
Learners were positive on new guidelines and promised to abide by them.
- Some students reported during the late hours and briefing them was hard. However, a counselling and guidance session was scheduled for 20th, October 2020.
- Some had substandard masks and were advised to buy new ones.
- We need more washing facilities at the girls’ toilets, canteen, sickbay, entrance etc.
- We need drinking water for students at the kitchen.
- More talking and supervision shall be done during the course of the term.